| Re: 5th October 2026 - "History of Melksham Station" talk in Atworth - 5th Oct 2026 Posted by Chris from Nailsea at 00:28, 8th October 2026 | ![]() ![]() ![]() |
| Re: 5th October 2026 - "History of Melksham Station" talk in Atworth - 5th Oct 2026 Posted by grahame at 10:21, 7th October 2026 | ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Fantastic, thanks Graham. Wish I could have been there.
Great photos. One question - from Melksham platform looking down the line towards Trowbridge, eg. slide 47, there looks to be a pretty substantial building on what I'm guessing is now the Asda site. Do you know what that was?
Great photos. One question - from Melksham platform looking down the line towards Trowbridge, eg. slide 47, there looks to be a pretty substantial building on what I'm guessing is now the Asda site. Do you know what that was?
West of England Farmers / Grain Silo ... and became Countrywide.
Talk would be available for other groups - happy to travel a little, though it's much more local interest. I would not expect to book a "History of Bacup Station" to draw an audience in Melksham.
Example from my inbox:
Hi Claire,
I was meaning to give you a quick call.
We have openings for speakers at the upcoming FLEET ELECTRIFICATION EUROPE 2027 event in Berlin, Germany.
Would you (or someone you know) be interested in taking part?
Best,
Alan Grant
I was meaning to give you a quick call.
We have openings for speakers at the upcoming FLEET ELECTRIFICATION EUROPE 2027 event in Berlin, Germany.
Would you (or someone you know) be interested in taking part?
Best,
Alan Grant
That is NOT one I'll be following up. I don't see the Wiltshire Somerset and Weymouth railway history being relevant to a Berlin audience attracted to learn about electric car and train vehicles next year, and I don't usually respond to the name "Claire" either.
| Re: 5th October 2026 - "History of Melksham Station" talk in Atworth - 5th Oct 2026 Posted by JohnM at 08:06, 6th October 2026 | ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Fantastic, thanks Graham. Wish I could have been there.
Great photos. One question - from Melksham platform looking down the line towards Trowbridge, eg. slide 47, there looks to be a pretty substantial building on what I'm guessing is now the Asda site. Do you know what that was?
| Re: 5th October 2026 - "History of Melksham Station" talk in Atworth - 5th Oct 2026 Posted by grahame at 06:49, 6th October 2026 | ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Slides online at https://grahamellis.uk/wsw.pdf ... and there is considerable commentary in there so you can probably get something from it without needing my voice to add context
| Re: 5th October 2026 - "History of Melksham Station" talk in Atworth - 5th Oct 2026 Posted by grahame at 08:33, 30th September 2026 | ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Argh - I'd really like to go to this, but Mondays aren't good for me 
Don't suppose anyone will be recording it?

Don't suppose anyone will be recording it?
No, Graham will be speaking live.
Oh, I see what you mean.
Oh, I see what you mean.

Lisa has spoken several times at the Atworth History Group, including March 2026, and her talks have not been videoed nor broadcast online.
My own talk will be a new one, though sharing much of the material I used in July 2014 at the Melksham Heritage Day. I'm open to presenting it again (if any speaker bookers are reading this) and hopefully nothing like as long as gap this time.
| Re: 5th October 2026 - "History of Melksham Station" talk in Atworth - 5th Oct 2026 Posted by Chris from Nailsea at 08:14, 30th September 2026 | ![]() ![]() ![]() |
No, Graham will be speaking live.
Oh, I see what you mean.

| Re: 5th October 2026 - "History of Melksham Station" talk in Atworth - 5th Oct 2026 Posted by JohnM at 08:05, 30th September 2026 | ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Argh - I'd really like to go to this, but Mondays aren't good for me

Don't suppose anyone will be recording it?
| Re: 5th October 2026 - "History of Melksham Station" talk in Atworth - 5th Oct 2026 Posted by grahame at 07:07, 30th September 2026 | ![]() ![]() ![]() |
| 5th October 2026 - "History of Melksham Station" talk in Atworth - 5th Oct 2026 Posted by grahame at 05:20, 26th August 2026 | ![]() ![]() ![]() |
From the Atworth History Group
A history of Melksham Station by Graham Ellis From 1848 to the present day
We meet in the Atworth Village Hall at 7:30pm on the first Monday of each month March to December
You are welcome to join us as a guest (£5) or as a full member (£20). You can join as a guest and then count this against the year's subscription fee if you subsequently wish to become a full member.
To sign up as a guest or full member, please contact Keith Ruffell at kgruffel @ gmail.com, or simply turn up to one of our talks and pay at the hall.
We meet in the Atworth Village Hall at 7:30pm on the first Monday of each month March to December
You are welcome to join us as a guest (£5) or as a full member (£20). You can join as a guest and then count this against the year's subscription fee if you subsequently wish to become a full member.
To sign up as a guest or full member, please contact Keith Ruffell at kgruffel @ gmail.com, or simply turn up to one of our talks and pay at the hall.
Atworth is a few miles out of Melksham on the Bath road, served by bus services 271, 272 and 273.
On Monday 5th October, buses are scheduled to leave The Guildhall in Bath at 18:18 (a 272) and 18:53 (a 273), reaching Atworth at 18:41 and 19:14. Return servive are at 20:48 (probably too early - this speaker can ramble!) and 22:48 (good for a pint in the White Hart after the talk)
Buses leave the Market Place in Melksham at 18:02 and 19:07 and reach Atworth at 18:16 and 19:19. They return from Atworth at 21:27 and 23:37, all on route 273. These buses run from Devizes - 30 minutes earlier - and return there, arriving 30 minutes later.





















